Saturday, August 15, 2015

I tried - to cheat {my weight loss journey}

Your body doesn't lie.  It's that simple.

I had a c-section June 23rd to have our second son, Soren (he was breached).   I was told to take it easy.  Did I?  Probably not.  I was told to wait six weeks before  doing anything rigorous.  Did I?  Not really.

I am hyper competitive, and even  more so when it comes to myself.  Although I try at a lot of things, I also strive to be the best.  Best me to be a better wife.  Best me to be a better mom.  Best me to be a better... daughter, sister, friend, co-worker, teacher, writer, organizer, person.

(The coffee mug Jeremiah got me at Kennedy Space Center  <3)

You can't be the best when you cheat.

Believe me.  I've tried cheating.  

Yup.  I've tried cheating myself out of being the best me. But your body doesn't lie.

After I had Soren I kept lying and telling myself that I was being healthy.  I was lying and kept telling myself that one donut was okay; or that I could skip out on my walk.   I did initially have to take it easy to heal after the major surgery.  And I did lose about 25 pounds after having him.  But for gaining about 55/60 pounds - and starting the pregnancy over weight - I had MORE to lose!

I was getting frustrated.  But it was my own fault.  I was cheating and my body wasn't going to lie for me.  We went on vacation (and let me tell you... swim suits don't hide anything! ... all truth, for all to see).  I really wanted to go up to strangers and tell them "It's okay, I just had a c-section 4 weeks ago."  but I didn't.  ---> IT'S HARD NOT TO CHEAT ON VACATION  <---  

We got home from the beach and I knew I needed to get serious.  Get competitive.  Stop cheating myself out of being healthy for me and my family.

August 1st, I started my healthy weight loss journey.  I weighed in at 209/210 pounds.  That's a lot for my short little self.  Saturday's have become my official weigh in days.    Last Saturday I weighed in at around 206.5/207.  I was happy to see progress and it kept me motivated for this past week.

I know I shouldn't boast, but I AM proud.  Last week I went back to teaching.  I passed up donuts several times, chocolate, brownies, and even mac and cheese for Gideon.

But, I didn't cheat. I kept my eating choices healthy.  I made sure to eat breakfast (see below).  And I tried to be active.  And by not cheating, I was successful!

This morning when I weighed in, the digital numbers stopped around 201.5/202.5!  

I stopped cheating, changed the way I ate, and started moving more (on week two of couch to 5K) and IT. PAYED. OFF!    Seeing those smaller numbers really does keep me motivated.  My goal next week is to get to 199.   Hold me accountable.

The journey is slow, but totally worth it.

My Healthy Breakfast
(It's fast, so you feel like it's a cheat) 
(The cooked egg part of my breakfast sandwiches)

I am not a morning person.  No where close to being a morning person.  And honestly, not something I am trying to change right now.   So breakfast was something I use to skip.  Healthy stuff took to much time.

I've been eating breakfast bagels.

In a silicone muffin pan I crack an egg in each hole.
I add chopped tomatoes and frozen/chopped spinach.
I mix it up int he muffin cup.
Top it off with a little salt and pepper (I also put red chili flakes on top for some spice).
Bake at 425* for about 20 minutes.

Then in the morning when I am in a rush.  I take out one of the eggs (80 calories) of the fridge with a mini-wheat bagel (110 calories)  and a slice of pepper-jack cheese (80 calories).  Warm it in the microwave for 30 seconds.  And BAM you have a healthy delicious breakfast sandwich for about 270-280 calories!


Don't eat the same thing every day though, it not only gets boring, but it's not great on your metabolism either.    Today I also made oatmeal-banana pancakes.  They were pretty good and will have to tell you later how I use those for quick breakfasts.



For humor - because smiling is important too!  

How have you improved your eating this week?   Are you moving more?  

No comments:

Post a Comment