Sunday, August 23, 2015

I tried - saving money {diapers}

First - as usual - I am on my phone.  So any major spelling/grammatical errors are probably my fault but let's just say it's the phone.  

Soren is two months old today!  

He's is doing great!  I am trying not to be emotional, but if I said I wasn't, it would be a lie.   With Gideon I got almost 6 months being at home with him.  Not 5.5 weeks. But he is so loved; not just by me but by Gideon, daddy, grandparents, friends, family, community, and coworkers.   He is a pretty good sleeper at night (jinxing myself) with only waking up once, if that. He is still learning how to be friends with naps.  His best friend - other than his brother - are ceiling fans.   It's cute.  

Anyyyyy wayyyy ... In the last two months we have changed a lot.  A lot of diapers!   Some yellow.  Some neon green.  Some off daddy at a baseball game and some out of the bath.   He's been changed in laps, on an airplane, back of vans, and pretty much any where.  A lot of diapers. 

But before we started changing diapers I started buying. 

When we first found out our blessing I started to debate between cloth and disposable.  This blog is not to say which is better or to start any mommy wars. I am just sharing how my family saved money doing what was best for us. 

Because Soren might be our last, my mom watches him full time four days a week, I do all of our laundry once a week (that's for another post on homemade laundry detergent) and don't care to do more, we decided to go with disposable.  

I have several friends who have had great success with cloth, and I do support the fact that in the long run they can be sold back for a bit of money back.  But if you are wanting cloth info - this is not the blog for you. 

My average, for my stockpile size 1 -3 is $0.115 that's less than 12 cents a diaper.   Pampers can run as high as 33 cents a diaper!!!! 

With Gideon we had about 6 months of diapers given to us. And then luckily we switched to walmarts brand - parents choice - and only had to buy a case a month for the next two years.  Gideon was potties trained at 2.25 years.    

In March I started researching diaper stock piling and coupons.  Having never couponed before, I was up for the challenge.  

I decided on my buying range and stuck with it.   In the picture below you have what I paid for in size three, my total pile size 1-3, what I believe i need based off other parents, followed by the buying range.  


Based off of other parents I am only about 500 shy of a years worth of diapers.  And based my on my numbers that's a years worth of diapers for roughly $325.   Not the couple thousands other sites make you believe.  

Now as baby grows diapers get more expensive.  However, you tend to use less.  Soren sleeps through the night and we are down to 5-7 diaper changes a day.  Give or take.  That's only about 2555 diapers a year (less than other parents claim to use).   

So.  

How do I do it? 

My phone number and my husbands phone number.   

---> I HAVE YET TO CUT OUT A COUPON <--- 

I started with walgreens. I have their app.   You can look at their add, "clip" digital coupons, and save up reward points.   I was doing pretty good with them - BUT I was mainly buying their store brand - well beings.   

I then discovered dollar general had an app.   Although very similar to walgreens (except no rewards) they had better starting prices, making "clipped" digital coupons go further.   I started buying Huggies and pampers from DG.   

NOW, we are very fortunate in the fact that Soren doesn't break out or leak out of any particular brand.  I personally don't care, as long as he is clean and happy.    If you have to have a particular brand, stock piling might be more difficult.    

****side tip - any diapers opened at the hospital have to go home with you.  So take them.  They are yours!**** 

Here are my starting prices.  Meaning I have researched and these are the typical non-sale prices at the store.   Now be careful, not all sizes have the same numbered packaged.   

As you can see, walgreens is expensive. Even the off brand is pricier than huggies.

ITS LIKE HUNTING. YOU MUSR WAIT FOR YOUR PREY.  ok, another lame metaphor. But seriously, don't just buy to buy.   Hint the name says stock pile - so you are ready, not rushing.  

So here is a sample of one of my buys.  

Dollar general does $5 off $25 (after other coupons).  But they also do, usually week days, $2 off $10 - which if you don't need anything else, a better buy so you aren't spending extra money on pointless items.   


If you pair that with a receipt coupon 


And a digital (what you see in the paper that you didn't buy) manufactur (the brand) coupon. 

Or wait for a sale on the item. 


You can start saving money.    


Now.  

You have to play by the stores rules.  So make sure you know them.  Or ask when you go in.     

Other great deals and hints. 

Target - they will give you gift cards when you buy two cases. If you time it right with their digital coupons and cart wheel you can get a good buy.  Also, if you put them on your registry, use a registry 15% off and a 5% off red card you can get a super buy.  

Notice my comment on my start prices that eventually a box at Walmart becomes the best buy.   But if your child is sensitive to different brands - then you might have to buy bigger sizes longer. 

Don't buy too many size 2.   The overlap with 1 and 3 only misses about 2-4 pounds between each other.  However, you get more diapers with two - so buy them longer.  

Don't open them!!!!  If you find an allergy or your child is a different size, you can take them back or at least exchange them for a bigger size.  Or you can always find a good home for them.  

Brand points.  Because I am buying huggies and pampers, each package comes with a code.   Every so often I will log in and update a bunch of codes for points.   

So. That's how I am saving our one income four person family money.   

Tell me about your success? Do you have any questions.  

Ok. It's bed time. Good night. 







1 comment:

  1. Hi guys!
    I wanted to add to this (a few years later) Walgreens app that you can build points on can link to your smart watch - I get points just for living my normal life.
    You have to find a method you are good at and comfortable with. And put lots of diapers on your registry.

    Good luck and ask questions!

    ReplyDelete