Monday, April 20, 2020

I. Miss. My. Students.

I miss MY students.
      My Kids.

I miss their laughter.
      Their smiles.

I miss their goofy questions.
       The serious ones too.

I miss their sarcasm and wit;
       Keeping the banter up.

I miss the moments they ask to talk to me.
       I miss listening.

I miss the 'lightbulb' moments, when it clicks and come together.
     I miss watching them try.

I miss the 'good morning Jones!'
     Seeing their excitement for the day.

I miss conversations about life;
      I miss their chess games, tik toks, guitar strings, books and drawings
      I miss hearing about track, FFA, graduation, dances, sports, pets, friends and family.

I miss encouraging a new generation,
     I miss their surprises.

I miss the path I was created for,
     I miss the reassurance.

I miss my coworkers, who are turning into friends.
      I miss friends.

I even miss....
      The absent parents
      The tough phone calls
      The non-motivated kid
      The kid asleep in class
      The cellphone being placed on my desk.... again
      The talks about not punching walls
      The conversations on proper hygiene
      The concerned counselor chats
      The student asking for a snack, for they are hungry
      The student out in the hall waiting for me.... because that's the safest place

I miss it all.
     I miss my kids.

I miss the good and the bad.
     I miss my kids.

Empty Classrooms = Empty Hearts


No comments:

Post a Comment