Saturday, January 21, 2017

I tried - (trump life) remaining positive, finding peace

We, as in this country that I was born in, have a new president.  Mr. Trump.  There are a lot of things that have gone through my mind.  There are lots of conversations I have had with other teachers, my students, friends and family. But what I keep coming back to is His word.  

I did not vote for this man.  In fact, I did not vote. You can find other political blogs of mine if you are curious of why I refrain from voting.

But here are my thoughts on our current reality.  

Trump is president.

You are (pick one or a combination of the following, rhetoric):

*You voted for him - are super excited - almost rubbing it in everyone's faces and believe that the world is already a better place because of him all while chanting that you are glad Obama is out.
*You voted for him because you felt like you had no other choice, that it was your 'civic duty' and now you are waiting to see what the next 4 years bring.
*You did not vote for him and are super upset about the situation and all that it has already brought, including the Besty Devos situation (don't get my started on that - you all know how passionate I am about education!).  But, you go about your business, living your day to day life.
*You did not vote for him and while tears flood your eyes while Obama steps aside, you make irrational decisions by destroying other people's property all while yelling hateful words.
*You did not vote for Trump BUT you are doing something about the current conditions, while being civil and peaceful.
*Jesus.  - He is always an option. 


A few weeks ago I wrote down four scriptures that I wanted to memorize for the month of January.  Tonight, among some other reading, I looked at what I wrote down for next week.

"Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things." Colossians 3:2

I have so much peace right now.  Maybe I should be marching, or prayer walking, or taking a stand for what is going on.  Right now - my focus is on things above.

Yes, it's heart breaking if your presidential nominee was not elected.  Yes, there are some things that are going to be hard to stomach. Yes, it's hard to grasp how some Christians believe that we should build a wall, dishonoring people, showing no love (check out Romans 12: 9 - 21 please).

But at the end of the day.  I want to be a better me, and to do that, I need to ask God what he wants.

I would challenge everyone to read Colossians 3.  The entire chapter.  If you continue to read we are given examples of what not to do, followed by what we should do.

Verse 14, "And above all these put on love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony.  And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts..."

If you are a Christian - are you doing what was asked? 
If you are not a Christian - are the people you know that claim to be Christians doing what is asked - if not, challenge them to do it.



No comments:

Post a Comment