Saturday, January 28, 2017

{an open letter on current events} I tried - screaming

Dear people,

I want to scream.

I want to scream in sadness, anger, bitterness, confusion, resentment, and passion.

This weekend, as many know, Trump is refusing to let refugees in unless they are Christians (in a very basic concept). Trump also would like to build a wall.  Trump this and trump that.

I am hoping that this letter will address several people groups.  I am not talking about religious groups, sexual orientation groups, pro-life at what level groups.  I am talking about facebook groups.

Here is what my Facebook feed consist of:

***Non-Christians (and most definitely not trump supporters) posting about how stupid Christians are to vote for this man. things like "Hey Christians...You were duped" C.S.

***Trump supporters (who some claim to be Christians) - who voted for Trump and are excited to see things going well and are finding reasons to rationalize what is happening as "okay", for instant the guy, L.S. who said "So I am curious, where were the national protest when Obama banned middle eastern refugees and deported millions of illegals? Why is it wrong that Trump has done it "which IS allowed by law" yet each of the last 6 presidents banned certain groups of people from entering the country? Hypocrisy at this best... if Hillary or Obama would have signed the same executive order there would be no protest at the  airports.  I'd bet  95% of the people who are protesting couldn't even find these countries Trump TEMPORARILY banned people from on a map or have any idea that the president is allowed do this legally."

***People who are overwhelmed and don't want to take a stand and are posting pictures of their cats.

***Advocates - who regardless of their personal religious beliefs are fighting for human rights

***Radical Christians - Jesus followers.  These are the people may or may not have voted for Trump.  But no matter what, are wanting to take a stand with the advocates.



Dear non - Christians, 
I know you don't agree with Christians or believe in Jesus or his death on the cross.  I am not asking your to believe what I believe, I am asking you to stop saying that this is Christians fault.  Yes, Trump might have persuaded or favored the Christian religion to gain votes.  

But I am not one of them.  Giving me an identity that I did not ask for is hypocritical - for it's no different than racists claiming that all Muslims are terrorists.     You can be mad about Trump's choices.  But instead of passing the blame and starting more irrelevant drama, let's rally together and do something about it.  

Dear Trump Supporter,
Really?  Really?  I don't understand why you are trying so hard to defend a person that is causing so much harm.   Chances are, you might be white, a Christian, or have a little bit of ignorance (in the sense of following family habits vs researching and making your own).  I am not stupid, no matter how much you wish we were.  In fact,I graduated college with the person who claims that only Trump supporters know geography.  Trump is president, you don't have to battle for him.  Instead, we need to go to battle together, for the human race. Please don't push us away more 


Also, please stop saying how perfect and well behaved the Republicans were when Obama was elected.  If I recall, he had to deal with several hateful situations. 

PS - to the Christian-Trump Supporters, where?  Where in the Bible does it say it's okay to build a wall and excluded people?  Where in the Bible does it say it's okay to cause harm on someone else - like torture?  Where in the Bible does it say it's okay to judge others based off of their sexual orientation, creed, race, even parenting skill set?    I am so confused by you and your actions - when I read my Bible it's filled of Love, Hope, Peace, War AGAINST the ENEMY.   So, let's stop fighting each other as people, and start fighting the good fight.

Dear people who are overwhelmed,
It's okay.  It really is.  You might be too young to understand what is happening.  I urge you to educate yourself - and that doesn't necessarily mean follow your parents.  Do research, learn about the world around you.  To those who are over whelmed and don't understand why it's a big deal, my heart is sadden for you.  The world is suffering around us, and it might not be in your own home, but if we don't do anything about it, it's going to be knocking on your door here soon. I want to let you know, the battle was already won.  There is peace in greater than all of this. 

By not doing anything is taking side of the enemy; letting them win. 

Dear advocates,
I stand by you.  However, I will only stand if you continue to fight with dignity.  Peace.  I may agree with what you are representing but once it turns violent I will never agree with those methods. Thank you.  Thank you for standing up for those who don't have a voice. I wish I could do more.  For now, my only weapon is words of encouragement and words of love to the oppressed.

Dear radical Christians, 
Brothers and Sisters do not be discouraged for God is with you. You are standing with all races.  You are fighting for all life.  You are loving all people.  Don't be divided in your efforts.  Your identity is in Jesus, let Him shine through all of this.  And when you feel like you are the only one out there, always remember - you are not.    I am with you. 



Dear People. 
Look at that picture above.
My heart aches. I am heavy with grief for this little boy and his family.  The picture is old, but the need to help and love others is still very new.
Tell me great nation, how can we let this happen?
My heart aches as our nation is divided on nearly every issue possible.
My heart aches as people are hurting people - with words.  Words create a wound that is so deep, that no amount of time will ever allow for it to fully heal.  
My heart aches as people believe they can't do anything to help - doing nothing is worse than trying and failing.

My heart aches for police officers and veterans.
My heart aches for those on death row.
My heart aches for the black father who was wrongly accused; continuing the cycle of injustice.

My heart aches for the Muslim woman who is shamed into not leaving her home.
My heart aches for the 16 year old who thought she had no other options but to determinate a human's life.
My heart aches for the Native American who still fights for their land.

My heart aches for the mom who lost another child.
My heart aches for the men and women and those questioning who have never known what safety feels like.
My heart aches for the teacher who spends their own money to feed her students.
My heart aches.

What are you doing to make a difference?  



Let's not make America great again.
No, that's child's play.  




Let's make people great again. 


No comments:

Post a Comment