Thursday, September 8, 2016

I tried - asking questions [Chapter 2]

I tried asking questions.  Actually, I'm really good at asking questions, being direct, getting to the point, not sugar coating, sometimes it's a fault.  But lately, I have not been asking the right question.

Chapter 2 - Three Questions We Must Consider

I was looking forward to digging more into this book while also picking up my Bible more regularly. The title held my attention as I eagerly awaited what questions that would be asked.  I was thinking that maybe they were questions like "do you think you are right?"  "how can you make this better?" or even "where's the chocolate?"

Page 15 of Uninvited Lysa writes "things of this world all eventually reveal what incapable anchor they really are."  

*Pause for dramatic effect*

We are talking about the world.  Stuff.  Brokenness. Pain. Suffering. Sin. Anger. Betrayal. Bitterness.

The world, well, it's a hot mess right now.

Hebrews 6:19 is my response to this hot mess.   God promises a hope that is sure, HE is our anchor.


Lysa continues to tell a story about remodeling her house and how a board (a beam) had to properly be replaced or her house could fall apart.  That it wasn't a patch job.  Kind of a big deal. 

Throughout this whole story I just kept thinking, and finally wrote down:

TRUTH IS SOLID, UNSHAKABLE.    My God is not broken.  He is ALMIGHTY.  He is my foundation, my rock, my salvation comes from him!

We continue to the story and thought with that we have to rip out the old and place in the new.



So, as we die to ourselves, and we start a new life (reborn), that our old broken beams become replaced by the wooden cross.  Sturdy.  Solid.  Truth.  

I really liked when she brought up circumstances and that if we let our identity be based in circumstances, we will be crushed.  That if accept our brokenness that we are no better than the house that is waiting to collapse on its self. Have a mentioned, we live in a hot mess, the world.    

Have you ever looked in a mirror and instantly started muttering all the flaws that you see..... my eyebrow(s), my acne, my horribly flat (don't own a straighter) hair, my this and my that.   Stop.   Like her negative self talk in chapter 1, this is not good.  We are truly tearing apart God's creation, his love. The closer we look in the mirror and examine ourselves, the closer we should come to seeing Jesus, right?  




Romans 8:5-6 is a my scripture reference to Lysa's quote on page 22, ".... keeping my mind focused on what the Holy Spirit whispers, not what my flesh screams."

*Sigh*

Life is always more peaceful when I listen to that quiet voice.  Stillness by a river.  Peace.  




During this chapter I started writing down a list of rejections.  I haven't decided if I want to share that list or not.   I'm not afraid of hurting people (although a possibility and not a goal) but I also don't want to face some of them again.  Some of these rejections I have kept very neatly tucked away.  Hurts that not everyone will understand.  I don't know if I'm ready for the judgement to follow or questions.  But through this list I was able to apply chapter 2's three questions.

Question 1: Is God good?
Question 2: Is God good to me?
Question 3: Is God good at being God?

I started to realize that by giving these situations, these events, more power than God, was when my core was starting to crack, break, become a worn board.  Not the cross that is set in me.  

Because of my lengthy list of rejections, I have an issues with trust, events would strike my core.  I thought my independence was great, but it comes from pride.  To protect myself and my pride I use to be really crafty with my words.  Laying brick by brick a wall full of false words, worldly ideas, and lies to, what I thought would, protect me.  But now, years later, I am trying to break down those walls and use the same bricks to build a foundation painted over with Christ's blood, with truth and love. With redemption.    Psalms 59:12 is sometimes a go to; praying that I don't use my word to sin.


I no longer have to prove my worth. 

-----> God is good. 
-----> God is good to me (so good).
-----> God is good at being God.

Two songs kept playing on loop in my head during this reading.  Ironically, my husband is the musician.  I can not name song titles or artist, but I can remember (not sing out loud) catch phrases or tunes, and I can also pin point when I first heard a song that had an impact on me.

"God is good all the time, all the time God is good."

Yes, it's an upbeat fun song to jam to.  *google it*  If you are looking for something a bit more mild try:

"Your a good good father.  It's who you are, It's who you are....And I'm loved by you, it's who I am, it's who I am...."


I am okay with these songs on loop.   Reminders I need.

I am loved by you.   It's. Who. I. Am.





To come:
Chapter 3 and a list of my personal rejections.   Look forward to hearing from you.   Grab the book, or better yet, the Bible, and let me know your thoughts.  I like thinking with people.




No comments:

Post a Comment