Tuesday, May 2, 2017

I tried - reading Seven [April's Book Review]

For April, to follow suit with my Spring Cleaning goals, I thought I would read Jen Hatmaker's "7" - little did  I know the journey I was about to be on. 


I actually have had the book for several months... or years... you know, that excess.

If you are pressed for time, 
scroll to the bottom for my quick 
"7 things to take away from 7"

Now, I might have some friends who don't understand why I'm reading Jen Hatmaker; she has been in the "news" lately  Truth be told, I feel sorry for her. She is being very vulnerable and transparent by pouring our her heart, energy, resources and thoughts on paper - only for others to judge and criticize.  Yes, Christians need to build up, encourage, and help keep each other accountable - but we might not always agree on every detail. So, if are an anti-Jen type of person, please don't read further, this post is not to stir up drama or arguments, thanks in advance. *drop mic*

****

Honestly,  I LOVE her writing.  She uses sarcasm, has a quick pace, and clever wording that keeps me engaged.  I also really appreciate that within the chapter are dates - so it's easy to feel like you are making quick progress - and for a slow reader like me, that is super beneficial.  Although, it is written almost with a diary feel, you still are processing information with her, never getting the feeling you are snooping on her.

Here is how the book is described: 7 is the true story of how Jen (along with her husband and  her children to varying degrees) took seven months, identified seven areas of excess, and made seven simple choices to fight back against the modern-day diseases of greed, materialism, and overindulgence. 


Chapter 1 - Food - The first month she limits herself to 7 different foods and water.  She picked: Chicken, eggs, whole-wheat bread, sweet potatoes, spinach, avocados, apples.   Her chapter was about the struggle it was to eat only those items.  She had a few slip ups, but give her self plenty of grace.  Her friends, "the council" helped by keeping her on track or giving her the grace to eat authentic Ethiopian food.   At one point, in an airport she ended up with a tortilla - instead of bread; and concluded later that that was acceptable.

What foods would you pick?  I thought about this - thinking I might participate in the challenge as well.  I was leaning towards:  chicken, eggs, sweet potatoes, banana, peanut butter, apple, yellow squash, tomato and lettuce - now - if you were counting I have 8.  But I would like to throw out the idea that an egg is the same as eating chicken... am I right?

Read this chapter for her feelings on how difficult this was, but the council also participated with a variety of different limitations or fasts that I found very interesting.

(I think this is very similar to what she had)

Chapter 2 - Clothes - For an entire month she wore the same seven clothing items.  SEVEN.  She does not consider her undergarments as clothes and two pairs of shoes count as one. NO accessories.  Her council all participate in a variety of ways as well.  Now, Jen does live in Texas were this might seem to be more possible, but she also has speaking engagements that change her perspective. Although in Texas, they don't usually have snow, during this experiment they experienced snow... you will have to read her story about how she endured a snow ball fight with her 7 wardrobe.

And her boots.  Oh the boots.  We all have that piece, something we take pride in and truly adore. The thought of giving away your own shoes.  Could you?  Could you walk out of a building bare foot?

She did.   

Clothing is not one of my least favorite things to buy.  I like to bargain hunt for others.  Love giving gifts. I feel as if I do repeat my wardrobe items fairly regularly that doing project 333 would be something more manageable.   33 items (including accessories, not gym clothes) for 3 months.  Maybe this summer - any one want to give it a shot?

If you are worried what people think; you'd be surprise how many people are NOT actually thinking about you. (Boy, that sounds sad, but really, people are thinking that you are thinking about them, when we are thinking about what others think of us, so really we are all only thinking of ourselves.... right?? *confused-brain-hurting-face*). This chapter does help you have a greater appreciation for your items and what you really need.  My family is so incredibly blessed, yet we typically wear the same few clothing items.

(A picture of a two car garage - one car spot - filled with stuff to sell)

Chapter 3 - Possessions - This month her and her family agree to giving away 7 items. Every. Day. For a month.  At first you think - how is that even possible.  But she made the comment that after living in 7 of the same clothing items for a month, it wouldn't be too bad to give away several of her clothing items.

I enjoyed her transparency about how she held on to some of her bagged out grown children's clothes as back up.  However, they soon found out, as most American's would, we have plenty.

The above picture is my own stuff.  My families "stuff"  boxes of boxes of baby/children's clothes.  Toys and gadgets.  Now, at one point these items held a purpose and did their job well.

Reading this chapter the same month that we prepared for a garage sale (and had our basement flood) really changed the structure of my mind.

Are these things we need or want?  Does this glorify the kingdom? Are we living like Jesus?

Honestly, I am ashamed.  Our community is living in poverty while our children are watching us consume more and more every year.   *I will confess, we saved clothes for my sister and I's children to share, and our mother happens to spoil her grand kids*


Chapter 4 - Media - This is the month that they refocused as a family unit and eliminated media outlets.  Her seven media sources to turn off this month were: TV, Gaming, Facebook/Twitter, iphone apps (even pictures), Radio, Texting*, and Internet* Her *disclaimer is that both her and her husbands jobs do require checking e-mail and texting (ministers need communication) but it was very structured and controlled.  No surfing the web, reading extra articles, watching sports.  They did not want to text to replace people. Instead they wanted to create a culture of face to face communication.

This topic is one that is a personal struggle. I never admit to having a media problem.  But in the big picture, it is what eats up the most of my time.  I try to always  rationalize my habits; ...I read this article to address this issue in parenting...... oh, I think so and so would love this recipe.......I need to make this for......I could try to do this to improve running.... lets listen to music as clean... lets watch TV while we cook (not while eating, that's family time)....... sweet boys of mine, can you wait while I email or text this person back......

I ALWAYS HAVE AN EXCUSE - THINKING THAT TECHNOLOGY IS HELPING ME BE MORE EFFICIENT IN COMMUNICATION WITH PEOPLE. 

Reality is, I need to turn my phone off, look my boys in the eye, and give them the attention they deserve.  I need to make my time sacred and not a scrolling mind numbing experience.  If I was to truly allocate my time in needs, I would have plenty of time to do the things I should (like work out, hahaha).

What are some other ways to do a media-fast?


Chapter 5 - Waste -  If consumerism is a double sided sword, than waste is the second side to possessions.  Instead of getting rid of items that no longer have a need, this is chapter is focused on getting rid of or purchasing items with greater purposes.

For month five, they picked seven habits for a greener life: gardening, composting, conserving energy and water, recycling, driving only one car, shopping thrift or second-hand, and buying only local (i.e. farmers' market and small business).

Of her seven this month, we do several of these.  I try to garden, we conserve energy (hello savings on bills), we already recycle (unless your basement floods and you throw out a lot of things), and we don't shop too terribly much.

This chapter had several nuggets of truth and wisdom when it comes to how God would like us to live.  This is not our world or creation.


Chapter 6 - Spending - The month she only shops at seven places. The locations she frequented were: farmer's market, gas station, online bill pay, kids' school, travel fund, medical, target.

This chapter was really interesting, for although I do not feel as if our family is drowning in consumerism, it was yet another reminder for myself that I can be more intentional when it comes to living like Jesus. Can we be a better community, support local businesses, or provide for others that have a need greater than our own.

I have friends who shop frequently, malls to boutiques, to thrift stores - they just enjoy shopping. That is not my personality.  I like to save money so I am prepared to be more generous for others.  I enjoy buying gifts on sale prices.  In general. I fill my time with our enjoyable activities.


Chapter 7 - Stress - How are you surviving? Have you ever made  lists of the responsibilities you have, the lingering or dreaded to-do lists?  Have you though about all the people who need you on various levels?  Life, is fast paced and tempts us with stress constantly. This month she decided to PAUSE and PRAY 7 times a day.

At first she admitted to struggling with this.  Waking up at mid-night to pray.  Difficult.  Eventually, she was made aware that she could set alarms on her phone to remind her to pause and pray. She ended the book with a family retreat on the family farm.

****
I know this post was rather long and I would encourage you each to read her book.  Her stories, her passion, her eagerness to grow and love people better is strung through this book, her journey.

7 things I took away from 7
1) We are rich. Even America's poor is rich comparatively to the world. (read Radical by David Platt for more info)
2) Food is not the center of friendship; or any relationship.
3) We think of ourselves more than others think of us. Start thinking of others. SERVE OTHERS.
4) Media is raging war on our families and communities.
5) We own too much stuff! We are consumers and teaching our children wastefulness.
6) Prayer changes things. Set and alarm to create better habits of spending time with God.
7) God doesn't want us at war with ourselves (pg 220), give yourself grace, progress takes time. 

WHAT CHANGES ARE YOU GOING TO MAKE TO IMPACT TOMORROW?

No comments:

Post a Comment