Thursday, October 6, 2016

I tried - to remember all 10 things [Chapter 11]

I wan't going to start out this blog with some wordy introduction or story.  But then I realized; let's get real.

This week was REAL.

It was real surprising
It was real inspiring
It was real tiring
It was real overwhelming
It was real crying
It was real laughing
It was real in teaching moments, mom moments, failure moments, even alone moments - but in a good way.

I was able to meet with a wonderful woman and talk about a future ministry opportunity that I was honored to be asked to help with.   Let the praying begin!  Then we got Max, an adorable PUPPY - he lasted 3 days - I had a huge melt down/anxiety attack.  I got to see joy in the faces of two of my students who have been working extremely hard.  I got to hug a student who asked me to pray for her grandpa.  I got to rejoice with a student who's little brother was just born.  I got to get "real" and break down some walls with some students. I got to read books with both of my boys.  I got to sing, play, and eat dinner with my kiddos' friends - listening to 4 and 5 year old conversations is, well, enlightening.   It's been a real week.  It's been a solid week of panic and peace, rejoice and rejection.

----->  Let's go <-----

Chapter 11: Ten Things You Must Remember When Rejected

Yes, 10 things. This chapter might be the most lengthy one.  After glancing over it, I literally wrote in my journal "let's go"   like this was something I need to attack.  But it was a quick read, with lots of things to remember; for real.  

"Together is a great way to press through something you're afraid could make you feel a bit undone." Page 127, although not one of Lysa TerKuerst reminders, it's a good reminder for me, and I think for you dear reader.  We are not doing this alone.  

When panic replaces peace is when we let our rejections consume us. 

1. One rejection is not a projection of future failures.   We must take God's promises and speak them into ourselves.  Replace the negative and turn it into a positive.    I am thankful for this reminder as I felt like a major failure to my children and rejected because I wasn't wonder woman and puppy trainer.   One must pick super-hero power; puppy patience was not it.  

2. Rejection doesn't label you, it enables you to adjust and move on.   This is a great reminder that I remember first hearing about a few years ago.  Where is your identity? If we look towards God to find who we are, rejection will not consume us.  Rejection is realistically a normal part of life; it's how we use it that determines our label.  

3. This could be an invitation to live in expectation of something else.  As I mention I live a pretty full life.  But it needs to be filled with God appointments.  These appointments can be by serving people, connecting and encouraging others, or just time alone to reflect and grow.   Being rejected an invitation to a party might be an attention grabber to expect something else.    We must wait and trust.  
4. There is usually some element of protection wrapped in every rejection.  This goes back to chapter nine; that we are not being set apart/outcast-ed but we are being set aside for something else/different.   God knows.  He knows.  He knows how to protect and provide for us.  So, let's let him do his job.  

5. It's good to ask the "what" questions but less helpful to ask "why."  "What" questions are allowing us opportunities to grow; while "why" questions are more about our own personal control.  The why questions allow for pride and insecurity to whisper subtle lies that we begin to believe.  



6. Don't hash, bash, or trash, on the internet.  Remember the internet never forgets.   People need to learn to heal privately, not with the rest of media.  This does not mean you have to be alone through whatever the situation is; you need to make sure to keep a few close friends that will be there for you no matter what and call you out when you are being a bit much.    What pains me is when I see people bashing, trashing other people and they claim to be Christians.  Remember, everyone is watching.  Let them see Jesus.

7. There's much more to you than the part was rejected.    Not much to add to this statement.  We are worth  more than a single moment in time.  Look at the big picture.    Just like in the second reminder - look to Jesus to find your identity and speak truth into yourself.

8. What one person sees you as a liability, another might see you as a wonderful asset.  We can do the same thing for two different groups of people; but its all about perception and how others view us.   If you are mature in how you use your God given gifts, then you will be placed in the role He created for you.  Just remember the difference between be conceited, confident, and clueless.  Your gifts can always be used for positive or negative.

9. This is a short term set back, not a permanent condition.    Pottery comes in two forms.  There is the fired, hard, very fragile.  Then there is the soft, can be molded, comforting.    Is this rejection going to linger around, continue to form cracks, and eventually break you?  Or are you going to be more like clay and allow us to be molded and grow from this opportunity?

10. Don't let this heart break destroy you.  Let this breaking actually be the making of you.  Let God use it in Good ways to make you stronger and take you further.     This goes along with number nine.  This rejection should not destroy and consume you.  God doesn't pull back, but he pulls you closer.   I would not be the person I am today if it was not the rejection, pain, suffering, and moments of total isolation that I have faced to make me stronger.

Lots of great reminders.  If you are like me, remembering all 10 of these things is a lot.  That's why this is titled "I tried to remember all 10 things" - for it's not easy.

Let's start with a foundation, umbrella of all of these.

Are you loved?  Yes.
Yes you are.  Remember that.

Listen to Matt Redman's "Your Grace Finds Me"..... sing....remember.... "So I'm breathing in Your grace, and breathing out Your praise, I'm breathing in Your grace, forever I'll be." 

No comments:

Post a Comment