Friday, January 25, 2019

FOCUS {2019}

Hi friends, strangers, random passer-byers (totally just made that word up).
I have not written since... wait for it.... August!  That's right; August 5th to be more exact.  In about a week that will be a 6 month gap of my musings. 
Don't get me wrong; I have been writing but more in the traditional sense, pen to paper.  




But I owed it to my soul to write again, for who ever may read this, might need it.

I need it. 

If you read the whole post you will even get to read about my outlook for 2019.... for the last three years [2016, 2017 and 2018] I have written a post about my goals or resolutions and then at the end of the year have a synopsis of it all.

Why not keep that tradition? 


2018 in short I wanted to embrace ... well... life.  I wanted to truly embrace Romans 12 in all aspects, body, mind and soul.  I decided, as usual, to set goals for myself:

*Embrace my mind - read 18 books
*Embrace my body - be 140 pounds
*Embrace my soul - live and memorize Romans 12

How did I do? 
>I read twice the amount of books I wanted to.  That's right, 36 books in a year!  Some I finished in a day, some took me a bit longer.  Some spoke directly to my soul while others tickled my funny bone, a few even split my heart open making me weep - but all, were embraced and enjoyed. I grew up not being a reader and now, that's no longer a title I hold!  18 books✓
>My lowest healthy weight that I got down to around mid-July was 149 healthy, glorious, strong pounds! However, with a heavy sigh, I shot back up to my body's favorite... comfortable... spot of around 165.  That might just be me.  I should embrace that!  (let's not forget about the races I ran with glee) healthy weight✓
>As much as I would like to say I memorized Romans 12; I did not. I read over it on so many occasions, gaining something I didn't know was missing each time that I did. There were moments that I missed my mark on living out the gospel of Jesus and embracing love of all.... I get frustrated with people.... and my words get the best of me.  Did I grow in His word, yes'em! Romans 12✓

2018 was by far my least active year on the blog; 5 entries total.  Quality vs quantity?  Was I spending my time doing something better?   (tooting own horn) I did lead a group through reading Wild and Free by Jess and Hayley (youtube playlist of songs).  I also read through some life changing books Fervent by Priscilla Shrier, Dancing in No Man's Land by Brian Jennings.  Those were probably some of my top non-fiction books, with a few others sprinkled in between the several fiction books consumed.  

2018 I started a new teaching position; and at the start of the year our principal had us take an assessment (yes, a personality type test).  This was called "teaching to your strengths" and I enjoyed learning more about my strengths.  My top 5 strengths are (not in order of importance):  Achiever, Analytical, Belief, Intellection, Relator.  I really enjoyed learning more about myself and could not agree with the statements.   

2018 also brought some things that were hard to embrace.  Loss of friendshipS... yes, with a capital S, as in plural, more than one.  It brought death to beloved family members.  Embrace hardships is never easy, but as time continues to pass I can look at 2018 of a time of growth; through good and bad.   But honestly, a lot of good.  

2016 my word of choice was Be.  Be still.  (Ran a 1/2 marathon though....)
2017 I wanted to be better. 
2018 was going to be embracing whatever came at me. 
2019 I would like to focus. 


>>>>> F O C U S <<<<< 

Clarity, deep, seen, closeness, important, fog-less, clear, perspective, included, intentional, core, disciplined.... those are all words that remind me of focus.

I want my 2019, well, what's left of it, to be focused on all things good. This word, despite its meaning, has a wide umbrella of concepts it can cover.  Focus on love. Focus on family.  Focus on God.  Focus on healthy friendships.  Focus on prayer.  Focus on health.  Focus on growing.  Focus academically. Focus on joy. Focus.

Currently, in the moment, I am very energized by the evening.  My boys played all night and then fell asleep watching a family movie (while I finished my 4th book of the year...).  Our youngest is still in his clothes, which happen to be under his spider man costume.  Both are covered in blankets from their deconstructed fort/tent that they made earlier in the evening.  I had time to read through my Bible study, Seamless and started to listen and put together my playlist for the year.  It's been a great evening.  Focus on these little moments.

Just for good measure, my 'goal' for reading is to finish 25 books within the year 📖

So, as of January 25th... here's to 2019!  

No comments:

Post a Comment