Tuesday, March 28, 2017

I tried - reading Women of the Word:How to Study the Bible with Both Our Hearts and Our Minds [Book Review]


Hey look, I did it!  I read 2 books in one month.  Technically, if you want to call the Book of Romans a book on it's own, than I have read 3 books in one month.  *This never happens*

Okay, I hate lies.

I can't really say I truly read the book Women of the Word.  I read the first few chapters and then started to skim.  Here's why.... in one of my groups we had a lady speak about how to study your Bible and she referenced (and gave credit) to this book.  I just couldn't face spending time on something that I have already taken notes over.


Women of the Word:How to Study the Bible with Both Our Hearts and Our Minds written by Jen Wilkin is an incredibly short book, to the point, helpful but not shameful. Jen is truly passionate about helping women understand the word better.

I also found this PDF for anyone who would like to do a more in depth study over Jen's book.

Like I mentioned, I took notes from a wonderful mentor, who prior to the session, encouraged us to read the book.  Here is the google doc on my notes.

Some highlights from the document:
5 P’s to studying the Bible:
Purpose - meta narrative, keep in mind the overarching story of the Bible.
Perspective - archaeologist dig into the word - who wrote it? Who was it written for? What genre? What is happening in the world at the time? When did it take place? What was it written?
Patients - don’t give up when you don’t understand, enjoy the process and know that no man will fully understand the beauty of His Word. This will take time.  Slowly form a habit so when you slip up you start up again.
Process - as you are reading and process information ask yourself these three questions 1) what does it say/comprehension? 2) what does it mean/interpretation? 3) how should it change me/application?
Prayer - you can’t be successful in studying your Bible if you don’t read.  Practice makes permanent.

No comments:

Post a Comment