Wednesday, March 15, 2017

I tried - reading The Curious Incident of the Dog in the nigh-time [March Book review]


January - I read a book about how to study your Bible.  [Understanding your Bible in 30 days by Max Andres]
February - I read a book about my heart [Calm My Anxious Heart by Linda Dillow]
March - I read fiction book!

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon is a great book!  It reminded me a lot of Perks of Being a Wallflower (which I first read in high school 12+ years ago).  I relate these two books to each other because they are both very quick enjoyable reads.  Both books also offer a sense of wonder and page-turning curiosity until the end.  YOU WANT TO KNOW WHAT IS HAPPENING TO CHRISTOPHER!

TCIOTDITNT also reminds me of the book Flowers for Allgeron, both were written in first-person, you were getting the feel of the character by living through them.  One main example about TCIOTDITNT is that Christopher numbers the chapters with prime-numbers.

I personally enjoyed the fact that he explains himself.  He does not like certain colors...here's why.  He doesn't like being touched....explanation to follow.  Although he is thorough in his thoughts and writing of the story, it is not drawn out or redundant by any means. His references to pop-culture were also a good way for me to stay focus and enjoy this read.

The relatable aspect to the story was a major reason for it to be a good novel to read. Christopher is a 15 year old boy allowing me to see parallels between the main character and that of my own students.  I also enjoyed the book for having been to England/London I was able to visually see what he was writing about.  A person who is not British or has not traveled to the UK might have a harder time appreciating the cultural diversities from transportation to words used.

A great book, would recommend anyone over the age of 14 to read, for it does have some language and mature-content (just read the first chapter for that discovery).

The fact that we are only half way through the month  and I already finished my goal of reading a book, I might try to stretch myself and read another book!

Let me know if you have read this book.  What are your thoughts?   What should I read next?

No comments:

Post a Comment