Sunday, February 26, 2017

I tried - reading Calm My Anxious Heart [Book Review]

First, I need to clarify a few things before I begin this book review or book report.   I am not a strong reader; a different person could read this and get something out of it that I might have missed.  So please take that into consideration when choosing to read any book I report about.

February - I read "Calm My Anxious Heart" by Linda Dillow. 

I thought it would be fitting for February, the month is all about hearts, it tends to be a quick month that causes anxiety or worry.  

This book was a sweet surprise gift from a co-worker.  My goal is to pass in on to someone else and continue to share it (so if that person is you, please let me know).

Calm My Anxious Heart was published in 2007.  So I felt like there were stories that were not relevant any more in today's age.  For example, she was constantly talking about e-mails, but never mentioned Facebook, Snapchap, Twitter, Instagram, etc and  the effects that social media can have on individuals if they allow it.  

The second biggest 'down side' to reading this was I didn't find it very practical or applicable to me.  I don't tend to be a person who is anxious.  I AM A PERSON WHO IS IMPATIENT! But when I am faced with a situation I tend to face it with facts and begin to string together a to-do list of how to handle the situation.   HOWEVER, I did like reading it for I know several women (and men) who are anxious or tend to worry and I can now be a better friend for them and not so cold/data driven.    {Please read the previous blog post, it shares some of my thoughts on spiritual maturity to my emotional level}

Chapter 1 - Philippians 4:11-13 - She talks about God's provision.  That we need to make it a holy habit where we praise God and not complain.  That we should focus on eternity and let tomorrow belong to God.   Like tea, we need to be infused in God's word, contentment takes time.   God does provide and does not need our help; therefore we can not and should not be in control.   I am teaching our boys "have a good attitude and be content."  we define content by saying  "being okay with what you were given." Just like my children, as a child of God, I need to be content with what I have been given.

Chapter 2 - Philippians 4:6-8 - This chapter she discusses the ideas of being content with our circumstances. That we are commanded to do not with anxiety but do everything in and with prayer.  How often is prayer your last resort?  Just like teaching my boys, I will ask, "are you part of the problem or part of the solution?"  I feel like if we just worry about something we are part of the problem, but if we pray about it we can help be apart of the solution.   By choosing prayer over worry we will discover peace.  Practice makes permanent is something I tell my students, the same concept applies with our prayer life.

Chapter 3 - Psalm 134:14 - This is when she talks about being content with ourselves.  Every time we are not pleased with ourselves is like we are arguing with God.  It's all about perspective.  Try to focus on what you do have instead of what what you don't have.  For example, while doing Whole30 we could focus on what we can't eat, but that's depressing, we can however focus on all the yummy foods we can have.  We have to be rulers of our attitude, time, schedule, and relationship with  God.  

Chapter 4 - Matthew 20:28 - To be content within our role.  First, even today at church, we were reminded where our identity can be found.  We have to be content in our roles. 

Chapter 5 - Colossians 3:12-14 - The chapter focused on being content in our relationships.  That in order to be content we also have to forgive.  For more scripture please read 1 Peter 2:21 and Hebrews 12:15.   Again this is where I can see social media becoming an issue for others and their discontentment.  We don't tend to be public with our negative events in our lives, causing a false reality to those who see us.  Again, it's about perspective.  I know what real life is like and try to be transparent on facebook as well.  It does no one any good being false to one another.

Chapter 6 - Hebrews 13:5, Psalm 119:4, Proverbs 30:15 - When will WE be enough and stop using money as a measuring tool?  This surprised me, 16 out of 39 of the parables told by Jesus directly related and taught about money/wealth.    Just remember everything belongs to God (James 1:16 - 17) Heart attitude is the issues, for our true treasure is in Heaven (Psalm 62:10), God comes first, possessions come second (I would even say, after people) (Matthew 6:24), Possessions are to be used not loved and adored (Luke 12:15).    You really have to search your heart, not your wallets, when it comes to being content with money.
Chapter 7 - Ephesians 5:15-17 - Having a faulty focus can cause a huge problem in your heart.  Look at the big picture. Know the difference between platform and purpose.   Romans 8:28-29.

Chapter 8 - Worrying is like a rocking chair - it keeps you busy, but you don't get anywhere.   She said, "Quiet tension is not trust, it is simply compressed anxiety."  I like that, I have to constantly refocus on God.  Worry is not the same thing as being concerned.

Chapter 9 - Hebrews 11:1 - Faith is the bridge that we have to take so we can be content even when life doesn't make sense.  Intellectual belief verses wholehearted faith was brought to my attention in this chapter.  Faith is very powerful, for it is rooted in God's character.  That God is always a loving father, that he allows everything for good, and he will carry us through all things.   God's character is also sovereign, wise, and love.

Chapter 10 - Jeremiah 17:7-8 - We have to make the lord our trust and remove our self from the if-diseases called "what-if" and "if-only"

Chapter 11 - Psalm 77:11-14  - We have to trust God to handle the "if only" in our lives.  Not to live with regrets, that we have to be content in all circumstances.  God is the ultimate problem solver.  That when we trust God with what we are given, peace will come through acceptance.   I might not have an anxious heart, but is it full of peace?

Chapter 12 - Habakkuk 3:17-19 - we will be faced with crooked times, and those times require faith.

One of my favorite parts was in Chapter 11 where she told an old Portuguese story of a poor old man in a village who astounded the other villagers when his situation wasn't that to be envied.  Go here if you'd like to read it.

The story of this old man just makes me think: Is what I am facing a curse or blessing?  If it is a curse, I will praise and pray with God.  If it is a blessing I will praise and pray with God.

So - who has an anxious heart that I can share this book with?

Next  month - March I am reading "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time" By Mark Haddon.

Until then - live loved. 

No comments:

Post a Comment