Wednesday, January 6, 2016

I tried - resolutions {welcome 2016}

~ 2016 ~ 

It.
Is.
Here.

A new year.  A new you.  

Why, in the dead of winter, do we start something new?  Why, during the cold, nasty, dark days we think we can wake up earlier, work out more, brush our teeth better - whatever it is, it's hard.
I believe resolutions go against everything my body as ever done.  We are built like bears, right?

You know.  To hibernate.  To Slumber.  To rest.

It.
Is.
Here.
2016.  And there is nothing we can do about it.

You know what's ironic?  This post.  A post on resolutions.  A post on opportunity.  Well, it's late.  =]
We have 366 days of 2016.  (Well now it's like 360 days, because this post is late).

That is 366 different opportunities to conquer, to change, to live, to bring love, peace, joy and hope.



I am not a person who normally makes resolution.  My personality I am a goal driven person.  I like to set goals and get them done. So it doesn't take a new year for me to set a new goal.

Get off my "type A" pedestal.  We are here, making resolutions.  Making goals.    

Goals, as discussed in so many of my teaching PLC or PDP or BIP or IEP....  we make "smart" goals.  A S.M.A.R.T. goal is defined as one that is specific, measurable, achievable, results-focused, and timebound.

Here are my smart goals (not in order for they are woven together effecting each other).

* Pray
* Run
* Gift
* Love
* Be

So, as you can see these do not follow the smart goals criteria at all.   The thing that smart goals do not allow is learning opportunities.  Can 'T' before "Try" - as in every day, for 366 days, we can TRY. We aren't perfect, so if we fail.  Try again.

366 opportunities to pray, run, gift, love, be.



* Pray - I want to pray:   MORE, BOLD, DEEP and WIDE.   At church Dr. Mark Scott quoted another professor "I don't pray more than 5 minutes, but no more than 5 minutes goes by without prayer"    I may or may not have quoted that correct.  =]  Pray without ceasing.

* Run - This is my health goal.  It's not just a physical outward goal.  But it's a health goal effecting my emotional, physical, and mental well being.  I want to crave God more than I crave food.  Not only am I physically running.  But I also want to run AWAY from sugar.  RUN to a watering hole.  RUN from the carb overload.  RUN for fresh air.  RUN for alone time.  RUN to hear my heart in rhythm to a song. RUN to spend time with HIM.   Just.  Simply.  Run.

* Gift - to give a gift, be in time, talent or treasure, one has to have said gift to give.   This is more about monetary gifting.  Although we give to our church, mission efforts, and other organizations that help build a local and global kingdom community; my goal is to be debt free (other than mortgage/school) so we can be MORE GENEROUS.    I don't want to think about money, I want to fully rely on God that he will continue to provide.  David Platt's book "Radical" was a great starting point to change my perspective on what it means to be rich.  Although we don't have a lot of money in the bank, we are beyond RICH.

* Love - just love others better.  I know I can't be perfect.  I know that I am forgiven for my shortcomings. I want to love through my actions, words, prayers, gifting, service, time.  No matter what, when I am with a person, I want them to feel loved.

* Be -  I just want to be.   BE better.   BE someone's why.  BE present.  BE patient. BE humble.  BE positive.  BE in the word.  BE Christ to others.  BE the best that I can BE {yes, I do know I sound THAT cheesy}

If you didn't notice my theme, the woven-ness of my resolutions; I need to be closer to God. He is my focus, my resolution.  He is my ultimate goal.



*****

At church we tend to use alliterations as we discuss the big topic or main idea.   Pray, Practice and  Praise is my own personal resolution alliteration.    Pray = Pray.   Practice = Run, Love and Be.  Praise = Pray, Gift and Love.

I know that this is going to be a good year.  A year of change and growth.  I don't know if it's the extra day in the year that will help me.  But I do know that I have wonderful support.   Without my family, church, small group, mentor, accountability group, friends, co-workers, and even my crafty students I would not be where I am today and where I am headed.   Thank you to all of you who have helped me so long in this journey.

Here's to 2016.

2016 - I am going to Pray, Practice, and Praise



No comments:

Post a Comment